About living and creating in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Homemade Bug Spray

The U.P. is famous for it's bugs - mainly mosquitoes, but they really haven't been too bad this year.  On our camping trip we were bothered by flies, thankfully not the biting kind - just the pesky ones that hover around.  I bought a few more oils and concocted my own version of a bug spray that's pretty effective - even on flies. It has a pleasant odor (my friends tell me it smells great), can be used generously and best of all - contains no toxic ingredients!  One word of caution though - it's always a good idea to disclose your ingredients if you're giving it away.  A friend just mentioned an allergy to cedars and decided not to try it due to the Cedarwood essential oil.  My version starts with distilled water and oil of Citronella, Eucalyptus, Cedarwood, Rosemary, Lemongrass and Lavender.
I've been adding to my essential oil collection over the past year or so since I started making my own face and body lotions.  I just purchased Clary Sage - it has sedative and euphoric properties that will be a good addition to the sleep pillows I plan to make.
For complete information including properties and benefits of essential oils, I recommend Mountain Rose Herbs.  In addition to their organic essential oils, they offer a beautiful assortment of bulk teas, spices, and other herbal products.  Their website is a wealth of information and my favorite place to while away an evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment