About living and creating in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

No Whey!


I've heard a lot of people talking about how wonderful Greek yogurt is and I have to admit that I didn't know what they were talking about. I've seen it in the stores, read the ingredients, and it didn't contain anything special, certainly nothing more than my own homemade. I've been making yogurt, by the half gallon, almost weekly for a few years now. Well, I got curious and found recipes online for homemade Greek yogurt and learned that it's just the same as plain yogurt, but without the whey! All I had to do was strain it overnight through cheesecloth, and voila, Greek yogurt! It's thick, rich, and delicious. Even made homemade granola for the first time to go with it.

You can make it yourself from plain dannon yogurt, if you don't want to start from scratch. Just strain it through a cloth overnight, and in the morning stir it up and it's Greek!

No comments:

Post a Comment