About living and creating in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Pesto Process

I  bought my three basil plants back in May when they were just a few inches high.  The U.P. summer has been so amazing that harvest time is here!  I documented the pesto this year - here's the steps from the garden to the freezer:
From the garden
One plant washed
Basil, garlic, fresh parm, olive oil & pine nuts in the food processor
Voila Pesto!
In cube trays ready to freeze
Three ginormous plants = 7 trays of pesto cubes!  It's gonna be a great winter...
Pesto:
2 cups packed washed basil
2 - 3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts (I've used walnuts and hazelnuts too)
1/2 - 2/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
process until smooth, I transfer to ice cube trays to freeze, then put in a ziplock in freezer or vacuum seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment