About living and creating in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Skin Care - knowing the ingredients


If you're like most women I know, you use some kind of skin care product on your face and body. Take a minute and look at the ingredients in your moisturizer and see how many you can identify. Some people spend a lot of money on these concoctions, especially anti-aging face creams. I've been buying a commercial line of anti-aging face products for several years now, and I'm still not sure what the main ingredient is. So, I've been reading about ingredients in the Organic Body Care Recipes book I posted about earlier and deciding which recipes I'm going to make.

Rose Hip Seed Oil is good for mature skin and extreme weather exposure. Macadamia Nut Oil is another carrier oil that penetrates well and is used in creams for mature skin and skin that's sun or wind burned.

Choosing the essential oils has been an education too. In addition to having therapeutic value, the aromas are known to have certain effects on the central nervous system. Lavender has always been one of my favorite scents, and come to find out it has many versatile uses for skin care too. It has sedative, antispasmodic and antiseptic properties. It can be used for sunburns, insect bites, cuts, headaches, muscle aches, menstrual cramps and to induce sleep! The aroma is known for its relaxing and calming effect.

The almond meal/yogurt face scrub is working great! My face is very smooth and feels soft, not dry. I plan on following it with a Rosewater and Vegetable Glycerin toner. Then with one of the moisturizers I'll be mixing up. One that looks promising is the Rich and Royal Regeneration Flower Cream. Ingredients include macadamia nut oil, rose hip seed base oil, beeswax, rose water, vitamin E oil, and lavender, sweet orange and ylang ylang oils. I'm going to experiment a bit with other essential oils too. I purchased Bergamot, Rose and Frankincense oils, along with Lavender, Sweet Orange and Ylang Ylang. All 6 of these oils are listed as stress reducers and can be blended. It'll be fun coming up with my own "signature" scent.

These ingredients are inexpensive and can be purchased at Mountain Rose Herbs, along with other bulk products like teas and spices. Just click on the banner to the right for a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment